Department or Division: Department of Animal Sciences
Postdoctoral Research Opportunity: Bioprospecting plant by-products as natural preservatives in fresh and processed meat products
The Department of Animal Sciences at Stellenbosch University has been awarded a SARChI Chair in Meat Science: Genomics to Nutriomics, which focuses on enhancing production and quality attributes of fresh and processed meats. The SARChI Chair in Meat Science is offering two postdoctoral research fellowships to work on bioprospecting plant by-products as natural preservatives in fresh and processed meat products. Potential candidates are encouraged to visit the SARChI Chair website (www0.sun.ac.za/sarchi) to gain insight into the present research activities.
An appointment will be made for not less than twelve months and not more than two years. The second year is subject to performance and availability of funds.
The postdoctoral bursary is R 200 000 per annum which is tax-free. No additional benefits since postdoctoral fellows are not appointed as employees.
As a postdoctoral fellow, the incumbent will work with the research team and wider project collaborators. Dr Cletos Mapiye will be the academic supervisor at Stellenbosch University, who will work with the incumbent on the specific research questions for the project.
The postdoctoral fellow will be expected to conduct research within the general focus of the SARChI Chair in Meat Science, publish at least two full-length, peer-reviewed journal articles per year, and supervise postgraduate students.
• A PhD from a recognised academic university in an appropriate field of study (Animal, Meat or Food Sciences), must have graduated in the last 5 years
• Experience in conducting research at an advanced level in a multi- and interdisciplinary environment
• Peer reviewed scientific publications
• Sound interpersonal skills;
• A keen interest in a research field that fits within the SARChI programme/research
• Relevant computer proficiency;
• Relevant proficiency in statistics;
• Language proficiency for a multilingual University
Commencement of duties: As soon as possible, but no later than 1 February 2020
Enquiries: Dr Cletos Mapiye on +2721 808 2640 or email@example.com
Application procedure: Send a letter of application, accompanied by a comprehensive curriculum vitae, including a list of publications and the names and contact details of at least two referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org before 15 January 2020
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.